i have found another kind of corn bread-the homemade kind.
the kind where i can pronounce all the ingredients.
the kind my husband has raved about.
the kind i have considered eating for breakfast.
the recipe (from betty crocker's cookbook - bridal edition):
1 cup milk
1/4 cup butter or stick margarine, melted
1 large egg
1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt.
1. heat oven to 400 degrees. grease bottom and side of square pan, 8x8x2 inches, with butter.
2. beat milk, butter, and egg in large bowl with whisk.
3. mix dry ingredients together, then stir into milk mixture bit by bit, until flour mixture is moistened (will be lumpy). pour into pan.
4. bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
5. spread a dabs of butter on top of warm bread and serve.
*this is a sweet cornbread
*this recipe is not exactly as it reads in the cookbook, but with my little tweaks here and there!